course: Biomedical Systems II
- teaching methods:
- lecture with tutorials
- computer based presentation
- responsible person:
- Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin Hexamer
- Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin Hexamer (ETIT)
- offered in:
- summer term
dates in summer term
- start: Thursday the 04.04.2019
- lecture with integrated tutorials Thursdays: from 12:00 to 14.30 o'clock in ID 04/413
Date according to prior agreement with lecturer.
|Form of exam:||oral|
|Registration for exam:||FlexNow|
On the basis of 'Biomedical Systems I', the students have expanded their basic medical/physiological knowledge and become acquainted with other medical technology procedures in this second part of the lecture.
The lecture presents the physiological basics of other organ systems and deals with medical devices/procedures for diagnosis/therapy of related diseases.
Lecture contents are:
- Basics of the measurement of biopotentials (electrodes, differential amplifiers, instrument amplifiers, isolation, filtering, interference suppression).
- Influencing body functions with neuronal or muscular electrostimulation: Stimulation of the skeletal muscle, cardiac pacemakers, defibrillators, bladder and brain stimulation.
- Basics of kidney function: anatomy, filtration, resorption, secretion, involvement in blood volume/ blood pressure regulation. Some essential aspects of hemodialysis are presented.
- Notes on the salt-water and acid-base balance.
- Functions of blood, measurement of haemoglobin content and oxygen saturation (pulse oximetry).
- Nutrition and energy balance: nutrients and food components, energy balance, measurement of energy expenditure.
- Basics of working physiology: adaptations of the autonomic nervous system, the cardiovascular system and respiration, effects of training, performance tests.
- Temperature physiology: heat generation, heat transfer, heat balance, temperature regulation, hyperthermia, hypothermia, fever.
- Visual system: Structure of the eye, dioptic apparatus, aberrations, transduction and transformation, light-dark adaptation, notes on neuronal processing.
- Hearing: structure of the ear, sound conduction, transduction and transformation, notes on neuronal processing.
- Critical care: ventilation, anaesthesia, anaesthesia, heart-lung machine, ECMO, cardiac support systems.
Basic Lectures, Biomedical Systems I